Request an accessible format.
See accompanying model documents below.
This content conveys general information. Do not use it as a substitute for legal advice. Any attorney general opinions cited are available from the League’s 研究 staff.
Review requirements city councils must follow when conducting meetings and public hearings such as the open meeting law and its exceptions, making sure there is a quorum, taking and publishing minutes, recording meetings, meeting by telephone, and rules of procedure (also called parliamentary procedure such as Robert’s Rules). Learn when to use a motion, resolution or ordinance to do city business and the procedures required for each.
Use these model documents with the discussion on “Meetings, 运动, Resolutions and Ordinances:”
- Adopting a City Code, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Amending an Existing Ordinance Template, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Approving a Special Law, LMC model resolution (doc)
- Hearing Notice on Adopting a City Ordinance Code, LMC model form (doc)
- Notice of Proposed Ordinance, LMC model form (doc)
- Standard Ordinance Template, LMC model ordinance (doc)
- Standard Resolution Template, LMC model resolution (doc)